When the clock strikes twelve on December 31st, people all over the world cheer and wish each other a very Happy New Year. For some, this event is no more than a change of a calendar. For others, the New Year symbolizes the beginning of a better tomorrow. So, if you look forward to a good year ahead, spread happiness with these wonderful New Year wishes.
- Exercise might not be the only tool in burning fat. By adding certain fat-burning foods to your diet, you can boost your body's metabolism.
- 1. A natural fat-burner, the egg provides a healthy amount of protein, which can be filling and preserve muscle mass, even during weight loss.
2. Breakfast cereal can be one of your strongest allies in fighting fat. But not all cereals are the same; some can even be detrimental to your healthy
dietbecause of added sugar and sodium. Instead, look for cereals with added fiber and low calories, such as Kashi Heart to Heart Oat Flakes and Wild Blueberry Clusters, Whole Foods Market 365 Everyday Value Raisin Bran, Kellogg's Frosted Mini-Wheats and Health Valley Real Oat Bran Almond Crunch.
- 3. Turkey contains leucine, an amino acid that (like eggs) helps maintain healthy muscle mass, resulting in a revved-up metabolism. Turkey is also full of protein, which is filling and helps prevent overeating.
4. Made of soy and canola oils, enova oil contains diglycerides, which metabolize differently than the fatty triglycerides that may raise cholesterol and body
5. Potatoes may not seem a likely candidate for this list, but their makeup of resistant starch may be beneficial in burning fat. Because the form of starch in potatoes resists absorption in the body, you feel fuller faster and are less likely to overeat. Resistant starch is also not stored in the body as other starches are. Another plus is the potato's high fiber content. (Other resistant starches include beans and grains.)
6. Add berries to your plate, whether alone or as part of a recipe. Packed with fiber (and necessary vitamins), berries satiate efficiently and prevent overeating. One cup of raspberries, for example, delivers 8 grams of fiber. The same measure of blackberries has 7.4 grams, and blueberries have 3.5 grams.
7. If you're looking for a place to toss in the berries, yogurt is a good fat-burning option. High in calcium, which prevents the release of fat-storing calcitriol, yogurt also contains leucine, another fat fighter.
- 8. Peanuts are an easily portable snack that pack a fat-burning punch. They keep blood sugar in check and can lower triglycerides, which contribute to heart disease. Full of protein, peanuts also keep hunger at bay.
9. White tea contains the compound epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), which breaks up fat cells.
10. Probiotics ("good bacteria") may help your body absorb fewer calories, whether you incorporate probiotics into your diet through food (yogurt and kefir) or through dietary supplements.